AMHSA Altos Hornos de México
Clear Air Iniciative
Installation of total-suspended-particle monitoring stations.
Permanent internal and external reforestation programs, with more than 20 thousand trees planted since 1992.
Constant lobbying for adaptation of the legal framework to allow for the exploitation of coal-associated methane gas, accompanied by the elimination of current emissions to the atmosphere which are highly polluting.
Training of operators for the improvement and optimization of emission control practices.
The actions of AHMSA and its companies to ensure clean air in their operating environments have allowed reductions of more than 60% in the emission of particles per ton of liquid steel produced.
To the efficiency in the equipment and control systems, a dust control program is apply to roads and yards, with a reduction in secondary emissions and improvement of the environment.
- Elimination of Siemens Martin open hearth furnaces. Replaced by oxygen acceleration systems (BOF), by having these systems with gas scrubbers enabled a significant reduction of particles.
- Training of operational personnel in order to improve and optimize the emission control practices.
- Installation of state of the art equipment and new emission control technologies in the main processes.
- Use of digital monitoring systems that allow the control in real time of the performance of emissions in steelworks.
- Installation of monitoring stations of total suspended particles.
- Sampler of particles smaller than 10 micrometers and measurement of particles smaller than 2.5 micrometers, which allow to comply with the official Mexican norms in the matter.
- Internal and external reforestation permanent programs, in the company facilities, mines and communities, with more than 25 thousand trees planted since 1992.
- Establishment of the AHMSA Administration System under the ISO 14001 standard, with more than 2,000 samples per year and reports made by a certified laboratory for compliance with official regulations.